This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card
One of the best perks of the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature credit card is that you can get a companion certificate every year. With this perk, from $121 ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees from $22), you could get good value out of a card that comes with an annual fee of $75. And now with the Alaska Airlines-Virgin America merger well underway, the latest step is that you can now use that companion certificate on Virgin flights.
Since Virgin flights are now searchable on Alaska’s website, you can use your companion certificate as you normally would. Keep in mind that the certificates are valid for any economy ticket, and the companion can earn elite miles in addition to upgrading their seat.
This is just the latest step in the Alaska Airlines-Virgin America merger. Overall, the combining of the two airlines has been a relatively slow process since the deal was finalized in December. Since the merger closed, you can now link your accounts, transfer Virgin Elevate points to Alaska miles at a 1 to 1.3 ratio and a timeline for elite benefits going forward has been released. So this move, while it may seem minor, signifies another step in the integration of the two carriers.
As a reminder, the Alaska Visa Signature credit card comes with a sign-up bonus of 30,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards