Verizon Adds Unlimited Data Option, Effective Today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Competition among US wireless providers is heating up — and that ends up working out in favor of consumers. In the past several months, T-Mobile has introduced free Gogo Wi-Fi and texting on Gogo-equipped flights, AT&T simplified its international roaming plans and now it’s Verizon’s turn to make a positive change.
Starting today, Verizon is offering an unlimited data plan. The plan will cost customers $80 per month for a single line with unlimited data, talking and texting — $10 more than the unlimited plan from competitor T-Mobile, $30 more than Sprint but $20 cheaper than AT&T. In order to opt-in for the unlimited plan, you must agree to AutoPay and paper-free billing. Verizon is the last of the major US wireless carriers to offer an unlimited plan — something that it’s held out on offering for a long time.
— Verizon (@verizon) February 13, 2017
AT&T offers an unlimited wireless plan, but only for customers who subscribe to pay-TV services like DirecTV or U-verse. Verizon used to offer an unlimited data option, but that was nixed back in 2012 in favor of “tiered data buckets.” And, the carrier is making the option to add unlimited data for families more attainable, as unlimited data will cost $45 per line for four lines — a total of $180.
The new offering from Verizon gives travelers something to cheer about. The carrier offers a favorable international plan, charging you $10 per day in select countries for the same data allowance you have back at home. This new unlimited data plan can only prove to help travelers who tend to use more data, especially when on the road. Loading maps, finding restaurant recommendations and updating your social media accounts with pictures from your travels — traveling can prove to be extra harsh on your data usage.
H/T: USA Today
Featured image courtesy of Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees