Tip: Use a shopping portal aggregator to maximize online purchases
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest deals and information on shopping portals. It was originally published on Feb. 4, 2017.
Shopping portals can be a valuable way to gain extra points and miles when shopping online. By making purchases you were already planning to make, you can earn additional miles with the airline of your choice, whether it’s United’s MileagePlus Shopping, American’s AAdvantage eShopping or countless others.
But these portals can have varying rates at which you can earn rewards. For instance, you may be able to shop through the United portal at Nike.com and earn 2 miles per dollar spent, whereas in the American portal you would earn 5 miles per dollar spent and at Delta you would earn 3 miles per dollar. It can be frustrating and time consuming to hop between each portal to figure out which is currently offering the best rate, especially because the portals usually vary their earn rates and constantly run promotions where you can earn bonus miles.
To save time and get the best bang for your buck, you can use a shopping portal aggregator like Evreward.com or CashbackMonitor.com to search for the store you want, and it’ll show you the most up-to-date earning rates for cash back, points and miles. Once you find your preferred portal, just click the link and it’ll take you to the portal’s website where you can then click through to the store and earn your miles (just make sure you’ve created and linked an account with your preferred loyalty program).
To make things easier in the future, downloading the button for your preferred loyalty program can be a helpful reminder to use the portal when online shopping.
As a general rule of thumb, it’s usually best to collect points and miles towards a specific loyalty program as it will increase your chances of reaching an award faster. However, if you’re working towards a redemption in say two or three programs then comparing the earnings with an aggregator can be especially useful.
Shopping portals allow you to almost effortlessly earn bonus points and miles while doing something you already planned. Utilizing this tactic can help you keep an account active and your miles from expiring. Better yet — when you combine shopping portals with a rewarding credit card, you can actually double up on your earnings. Who knew online shopping could be so rewarding?
Featured photo by Busakorn Pongparnit/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees