This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the more valuable perks of Amex credit cards is the annual airline travel credit. A number of Amex cards come with this credit, including the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, the Platinum Card, the Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN and both the personal and business versions of the Amex Centurion Cards.
With the annual airline travel credits from Amex, you can select an eligible airline and receive the specified amount of money in statement credits to cover fees such as checked bags, in-flight purchases and change fees. Here’s what each of the cards mentioned above gets annually for airline travel credits:
- Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card — $100
- Amex Platinum Card — $200
- Amex Business Platinum Card — $200
- Amex Centurion Cards — $200
However, in order to take advantage of the statement credits, you must select the airline with which you want to spend it. If you’re looking to change the airline you want to use the statement credit with (you can change this once a year), you must do so by the end of the month — January 31 — by logging in to your account and selecting the airline. If you don’t want to change your preferred airline, you don’t need to do anything — last year’s selection will carry over.
Unfortunately, these statement credits can’t be applied directly to airfare, however, they can save you on other incidentals. The eligible airlines include Alaska, American, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Spirit, Southwest or United. If you plan on changing your airline, don’t forget to do so by the end of the month.
Featured image courtesy of Hero Images via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees