This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Mark sent me a message on Facebook to ask about reciprocal elite benefits:
“Does Marriott Platinum status get you any status with United Airlines? If so, where do I sign up?”
One perk of elite status is that you can leverage it to earn even more elite status elsewhere. Status matches and challenges are a common example, but you can also score reciprocal status or benefits thanks to partnerships between loyalty programs.
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus offer one such partnership known as the RewardsPlus program. Through RewardsPlus, Marriott Platinum Elite members receive complimentary United Premier Silver status, which offers benefits like a free checked bag, mileage bonuses and complimentary access to Economy Plus seats. Likewise, MileagePlus members with Gold status and above receive complimentary Marriott Gold status, which offers breakfast benefits, upgrades and more.
Signing up is easy, though the steps are slightly different depending on which program you’re starting from. If you already have Marriott status, go through Marriott’s RewardsPlus landing page, where you can verify your eligibility and link your accounts. If you already have United status and are matching to Marriott, then go through the MileagePlus landing page. Note that in either case it may take up to 10 days before your new status is updated.
RewardsPlus isn’t the only airline/hotel partnership that offers elite benefits. Since 2013, Starwood Preferred Guest and Delta Air Lines have offered the Crossover Rewards program. You won’t receive reciprocal status through Crossover Rewards, but you will get bonus points and select benefits like upgrades and free checked bags (for SPG Platinum elites on Delta flights) or late check-out (for Delta Platinum and Diamond Medallions).
Starwood has similar partnerships with other carriers, including Emirates and, more recently, China Eastern Airlines. Hilton and American Airlines got in on the game back in 2014 with a targeted status challenge for Hilton HHonors elites, but that program hasn’t been offered again since.
For more tips on earning elite status, check out these posts:
- Shortcuts to Earning Elite Status with Airline Credit Cards
- How to Get Airline Status Quickly
- Shortcuts to Hotel Elite Status: Cards, Spending and More
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at Marriott and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,200 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.