This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express, IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express
In April of last year, we told you about Hilton’s generous status match and how the chain was extending matched Honors status through March 2018. Now, Honors is extending that status match and challenge option to give you elite status through March 2019.
According to Loyalty Lobby, Hilton is extending its status challenge/match through March 2019 — even though that isn’t reflected on its website. Once your request a match with Hilton, you’ll be granted your matched Honors status for 90 days. In order to retain that status through March 2019, you must complete four stays in 90 days to retain Gold status, or eight stays to retain Diamond status. Note that these are stays and not nights.
To match your hotel status with any of the major chains to Hilton, go to the Hilton website and submit proof of your status as well as proof of a stay (with that chain) within the past 12 months. Programs listed on the Hilton website to match with include Starwood Preferred Guest, IHG, Hyatt, Marriott, Choice Privileges and an “Other” option. There’s no telling which level you’ll get with Hilton based on the status you’re matching, but in the past, TPG readers have reported matching IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum and SPG Platinum to Hilton Diamond.
Gold status with Hilton usually requires 20 stays, 40 nights or 75,000 Base Points, and Diamond status usually requires 30 stays, 60 nights or 120,000 Base Points. Based on our assessment, Honors Gold status is worth $1,310 and Diamond status is worth $2,320, assuming you end up staying enough to earn that level through the regular channels, so there is plenty value to be had here that can last for more than two years.
As a reminder, you can also achieve HHonors status though credit cards. The Platinum Card from American Express, Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card and Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express all offer Gold status once you’re a cardholder. Also note that it could be worth signing up for the IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card, as it comes with IHG Platinum status, which could mean Hilton Diamond status for more than two years with this status match.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Featured image courtesy of the Hilton Phuket.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards