Book Hotels for Hours at a Time With the As You Stay App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even the most experienced travelers get fed up with delays, long layovers and spending too much time in airports. If you’re constantly on the go, sometimes there’s nothing better than a couple of hours to recuperate in a luxurious (or any) hotel room.
That’s where As You Stay comes in, a new app that allows users to book a hotel room for hours at a time, starting at just one and maxing out at 24 so you can take as much (or as little) time as you need to refresh. Since rates are priced according to the exact number of hours you’ll be staying, you can save some money if you aren’t planning on staying within the confines of traditional hotel check-in and check-out times. And the more you book through the As You Stay app, the more free hours you’ll earn, which can be applied to your next stay. While the app features mainly boutique and independently-owned hotels, you can also find larger chains — like ChoiceHotels, IHG, Hilton, Marriott and Club Carlson — if that’s more your style.
We spent some time playing around with the new app and found it was super easy to use — it also seemed to have an edge over regular booking sites in terms of pricing.
One issue travelers may run into is that you’re not able to book a hotel more than 23 hours in advance and you can only book it for a maximum of 24 hours. So, for instance, if it’s Monday at 3:00pm and you’re looking for a place to stay, the latest time you’ll be able to book is Tuesday at 2:00pm for a one-hour stay. Therefore, we’d say this app is more suitable for those looking to book a hotel room the day-of, especially if you’re not planning to stay for more than one night. And, you can get $25 off your first booking when you sign up here or use promo code THEPOINTSGUY.
Below are some examples of what you can book through the app compared to booking a room directly through the hotel’s site, so you can get an idea of what the pricing is like.
Holiday Inn New York City – Midtown – 57th St:
The total cost (before taxes) for a sample booking through As You Stay from January 24 at 9:00pm to January 25 at 7:00pm (a 10-hour stay): $58
The total cost (before taxes) of booking directly through the Holiday Inn’s website for a stay from January 24 at 3:00pm to January 25 at 11:00am (standard hotel check-in and check-out times): $73
In this scenario, we’d have to go with As You Stay, whose rate was $15 less and because you have the ability to choose your own hours — if you have a late flight, having to check out at 11:00am and store your bags can be a hassle, so As You Stay would be a solid option in this case.
Best Western Premier Herald Square:
The total cost (before taxes) for a sample booking through As You Stay from January 25 at 3:00am to January 25 at 12:00pm (a nine-hour stay): $95
The total cost (before taxes) of booking directly through the Best Western website for a stay from January 24 at 3:00pm to January 25 at 11:00am (standard hotel check-in and check-out times): $95
These ended up coming out to the same price, so depending on how much time you need at the hotel, you could book your stay either way. The As You Stay app could also be a useful tool for finding hotels and comparing prices in a given area, giving you all the available options so you can make a more informed decision.
The total cost (before taxes) for a sample booking through As You Stay from January 24 at 3:00pm to January 25 at 10:00am (a 19-hour stay): $264
The total cost (before taxes) of booking directly through the hotel’s website for a stay from January 24 at 3:00pm to January 25 at 11:00am (standard hotel check-in and check-out times): $349
As You Stay has to been the clear winner in this case, since it’ll save you $85 for a full night’s stay at the Trump SoHo.
Overall, the app was easy to use and could be a great tool for those who’ve missed a flight, need to get out of the airport or anyone who’d rather spend a layover in a cozy hotel bed for a change. Don’t forget to get your free $25 credit when you sign up using this link.
Featured image courtesy of the Trump SoHo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.