This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Redeeming your points toward a well-deserved trip can be a great feeling, especially knowing that you’ll be creating memories to last a lifetime. The legacy hotel brands we’ve come to love (for the most part), such as Marriott, Starwood and Hilton, all have great redemption opportunities and all share a common benefit that many forget when planning their trips.
With the three programs, if you redeem for a four-night stay, you can get the fifth night for free — no extra points or cash required (aside from possible taxes and fees). Make sure to check that there’s availability for the five consecutive nights before you plan to take advantage of this complimentary benefit.
Here’s some more program-specific information to make sure you’re able to take advantage of this benefit:
- Marriott allows you to get a free fifth night if you’ve redeemed your points for four nights. If you’re staying at a Marriott property longer, such as 10 nights, you’d only have to redeem for 8 nights — your fifth and tenth nights are covered.
- Starwood is also a great option — you’ll get the fifth consecutive night for free after redeeming for four nights. This applies only to SPG Category 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 properties, so be sure your property is eligible before redeeming.
- Lastly, Hilton also offers the fifth night free — but it gets complicated. Unlike what Marriott and Starwood offer, you have to be an elite member to get the fifth night free on award redemptions (though it’s easy to get Gold status for free). Furthermore, Hilton bases the free night on peak and off-peak seasonal pricing, which makes this option somewhat less attractive. You can find the full terms here.
For more information on Fifth Night Free benefits, check out this post.
Featured image courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Cancun.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards