This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now through the end of the year, you can buy Starpoints at a discount of up to 50% off. Note that this promotion through Starwood Preferred Guest is a targeted offer, so the discount you’ll get will vary. Three TPG team members were targeted with a 35% discount; one got a 30% offer; and others got the full 50% discount. To check what you’re eligible for, go to SPG’s Points.com page and log in.
In order to get the discount, you need to purchase a minimum of 5,000 Starpoints. Starwood normally charges 3.5 cents per point, which is the rate you’ll be getting if you choose to purchase anything less than 5,000 points. However, once you’ve passed the 5,000-point threshold, you’ll get the 30% discount (or more, depending on what you’re targeted for). With the 35% discount, Starwood is selling each point for a significantly lower rate of 2.275 cents apiece, so it could definitely make sense to leverage this offer if you have a specific redemption in mind.
However, where this offer is really intriguing — and an especially good deal — is if you’re targeted for the 50% discount. With the discount, which is possibly the largest that SPG’s ever awarded, you’d be buying Starpoints for just 1.75 cents apiece!
If you’re targeted for the 50% discount, you might want to consider buying a good bulk of points to top off your account, especially if you have a specific award stay in mind for the future. Given the deeply discounted cost per point, higher-category redemptions could provide you with even more value.
Take, for example, the St. Regis Mauritius, which is an SPG Category 6 property, requiring 20,000-25,000 Starpoints for a free night. For a three-night stay over the Christmas holiday, the property is going for 1,057 euros (~$1,166) per night. Instead, you could redeem 21,666 Starpoints for a free night. In his most recent valuations, TPG values Starpoints at 2.7 cents apiece, so the redemption is worth about $585 per night.
This is a great time to buy Starpoints, especially if you have a specific redemption in mind and you’re targeted for the 50% discount. Note that you have a while to take advantage — until December 31, 2016. If you’re looking to top off your SPG account any further, consider signing up for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. The card comes with a sign-up bonus of 25,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. You’ll earn up to 5x points on eligible SPG purchases (including the points you’d earn directly through SPG), 2x purchases on eligible Marriott purchases and 1x points on everything else.
Featured image courtesy of the Le Meridien Bora Bora.
Will you be taking advantage of this buy miles promotion?
- Earn a $100 statement credit after you make $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn an additional $100 statement credit after your first purchase on the Card at a participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotel within your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- From now through July 31, 2018: Earn 2 Starpoints® for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other eligible purchases.
- On August 1, 2018, SPG will convert every one Starpoint in a loyalty member account to three points. In general, corresponding redemption changes will occur. Visit members.marriott.com for details.
- Effective August 1, 2018: Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases on the Card at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Earn free nights at over 1,500 hotels and resorts in over 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees