This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling during the holidays can be an exceptionally stressful affair due to a crush of passengers traveling through the nation’s airports trying to get to their loved ones. American Express wants to take a little stress out of holiday traveling by partnering with Uber to offer US cardholders two free rides home from select major US airports (up to $65 per ride) through December 31, 2016.
Update 11/27/16: Amex has confirmed that the offer is back on, so if you haven’t registered yet be sure to do so right away! Here’s the statement from American Express:
“Due to the significant response to this offer during the busy Thanksgiving weekend, the enrollment limit was reached quickly and the offer was not available for a period of time. Uber has just increased the enrollment limit to enable more Amex Card Members to take advantage of the offer. All Amex Card Members who successfully added the promotion code to their Uber account will still be able to redeem the offer on eligible rides through 12/31.”
Update 11/26/16: Some readers have been unable to register using the promotion code, but have been successful in getting a refund from Uber following their ride. Based on the terms it doesn’t appear that there’s a cap to the number of users who can take advantage of this promo.
To claim your $130 in savings, you simply need to enter AMEXAIRPORT in the promotions tab within the Uber app and make sure that your American Express card (prepaid cards aren’t eligible) is the selected method of payment, and then $65 will be taken off the total cost of your ride after you’ve made it home. To be eligible for this promotion, rides must originate at one of the following airports:
- Boston (BOS)
- Chicago (ORD and MDW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- New York (EWR, LGA and JFK)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Washington, D.C. (DCA and IAD)
Getting home from the airport by car can often be very pricy, so this offer is without a doubt a generous holiday gift if you’re based in one of the markets this promo covers. Remember, if you don’t have an Uber account, you can sign up here to receive another free ride (up to $20) from TPG.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at Marriott and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,200 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.