This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card
Update 12/21/16: The 5,000 bonus points per stay promo has been extended through January 31, 2017, so you still have a few weeks to earn.
One of the best parts of the Hilton HHonors program is the variety of promotions the company runs for its members — and, more specifically, how often they’re available. Right now, there are a couple of pretty nice promotions going on. Through December 31, 2016, you can earn a bonus 5,000 points per stay when you book on the app with a Visa card. In addition, another ongoing promotion earns you triple points on stays when you book through the app. And the 5,000-point offer looks like it’s more wide-ranging than we originally thought, as it also can include award stays.
Note that before your stay (revenue or award) can be eligible for the 5,000 bonus points and/or triple points, you must register for both promotions (triple points and 5,000 bonus points). However, because the latter promotions (5,000 points per stay) also works on award stays, you could essentially be walking out of your stay free of charge. If you book your award stay through the Hilton app and put at least some spend on your folio and pay with a Visa, you’ll walk away with the 5,000 bonus points.
Where this could become particularly attractive is with Hilton HHonors Category 1 properties, which cost 5,000 HHonors points for a free night. Unfortunately, Hampton, Home2 Suites and Homewood Suites properties aren’t eligible for these bonus points, as folio spend on incidentals isn’t eligible for points earning at these properties. Though there are plenty of other options.
For example, the Hilton Taba Resort & Nelson Village in Egypt is a HHonors Category 1 property, requiring 5,000 points for a free night. If you book a one-night stay at the property through the app and charge something to the folio on your Visa card, you’ll just pay for incidentals when you check out — and, since you’ll earn 5,000 points, the award stay will have essentially paid for itself.
The Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card comes with a sign-up bonus of 75,000 points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months. If you put your spend on this card, you’ll not only be earning the bonus 5,000 points, but also 6x points spent at Hilton properties. In addition, you’ll also earn 3x points on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations as well as 2x points on everything else.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured image courtesy of the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.