Video SRQ: How Does Southwest Airlines Deal With Fare Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week on Twitter, TPG follower Laura wanted to know how Southwest Airlines deals with fare changes:
“@thepointsguy do you know how SWA does fare changes? Say my flight drops in price and I want to rebook?”
Southwest makes it very easy to change your ticket, without having to pay extra fees. All you have to do is call up Southwest customer service at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA and explain to the representative that the price of your flight dropped, and ask to be rebooked at the price of the new flight, and you’ll automatically get a voucher for future travel. You will not get a refund on your credit card, but it is better than nothing. Southwest doesn’t charge any fees to do this, and in that regards are very friendly about it.
Now with the other major airlines like American, Delta and United, generally there is a $150 change fee for a domestic trip and a $250 change fee for an international itinerary. So unless your price drops by that much, it’s not worth it to reprice at the lower level. But, if for some reason you purchase a ticket at an unusually high price, keep checking and if for some reason a ticket on your itinerary does drop by more than those thresholds, you can call. They will charge the change fee, but you will then get a voucher good for future travel on the airline.
This is generally the rule with hotels as well. With refundable hotel rates, often you have up until the day before you arrive to cancel. So once you make a hotel reservation, keep checking because if you see a lower price, you can cancel your original reservation and rebook at the lower price.
The same goes for car rentals. That’s why websites like Autoslash, although it’s no longer supported by some of the major car rental companies, will continuously check to see if the price has dropped for you.
With airlines though, there’s no tool that I’m aware of that will automatically tell you if the price drops on the same exact flights, but if anyone has tools they use to save money on flights after they book, please feel free to share.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees