50% Amex Transfer Bonus to Starwood Until March 31, 2012!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Offer expired on March 31, 2012.
Starwood Preferred Guest is a transfer partner of American Express, but the normal transfer ratio is a dismal 3:1, which means you’d need to transfer 60,000 Amex to get 20,000 SPG (which can then be transferred on to a number of airlines at a 25% bonus).
However, until March 31, 2012 Amex is running a 2:1 ratio, which is better but still not amazing. The bonus is hard-coded into the transfer ratio, so no need to register and the points should transfer automatically. Just log-in to Membershiprewards.com -> Use points -> Hotels and then Starwood along the side of the screen or click here.
1) To build American Airlines miles. Currently AA is not a member of either of the main transferable points programs, Amex Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards, so you can essentially transfer points to Starwood at 40,000 Amex to 20,000 SPG and then transfer to AA at the 25% bonus and end up with 25,000 American Airlines miles. If you are swimming in Amex points and want to redeem for a great AA award (like 40,000 miles offpeak coach roundtrip to Europe), this could make sense, but it’s still a 1: .625 transfer ratio of Amex to AA. Check out this post for more on maximizing AA awards.
2) To take advantage of one of my favorite point redemption methods, Starwood Cash & Points. I can often get over 4 cents per Starpoint in value when I redeem for Cash & Points stays, so if you value Starpoints at more than two times Amex points, this transfer bonus might make sense. Plus, Cash & Point and award stays now count towards SPG elite status and starting today Starwood is adding a ton of benefits to Gold and Platinum status.
Hat tip TPG reader Scott!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees