50% Amex Transfer Bonus to Starwood Until March 31, 2012!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Offer expired on March 31, 2012.
Starwood Preferred Guest is a transfer partner of American Express, but the normal transfer ratio is a dismal 3:1, which means you’d need to transfer 60,000 Amex to get 20,000 SPG (which can then be transferred on to a number of airlines at a 25% bonus).
However, until March 31, 2012 Amex is running a 2:1 ratio, which is better but still not amazing. The bonus is hard-coded into the transfer ratio, so no need to register and the points should transfer automatically. Just log-in to Membershiprewards.com -> Use points -> Hotels and then Starwood along the side of the screen or click here.
1) To build American Airlines miles. Currently AA is not a member of either of the main transferable points programs, Amex Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards, so you can essentially transfer points to Starwood at 40,000 Amex to 20,000 SPG and then transfer to AA at the 25% bonus and end up with 25,000 American Airlines miles. If you are swimming in Amex points and want to redeem for a great AA award (like 40,000 miles offpeak coach roundtrip to Europe), this could make sense, but it’s still a 1: .625 transfer ratio of Amex to AA. Check out this post for more on maximizing AA awards.
2) To take advantage of one of my favorite point redemption methods, Starwood Cash & Points. I can often get over 4 cents per Starpoint in value when I redeem for Cash & Points stays, so if you value Starpoints at more than two times Amex points, this transfer bonus might make sense. Plus, Cash & Point and award stays now count towards SPG elite status and starting today Starwood is adding a ton of benefits to Gold and Platinum status.
Hat tip TPG reader Scott!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees