Reduced Taxes on Airline Tickets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I have to be honest, I haven’t been closely following the drama in Washington over the budget, but I did read an interesting blog post from Gary at View from the Wing about the the possibility of less taxes being collected on airline tickets. And as of today, fewer government taxes on airline tickets, which is great news to consumers.
I can vouch for this firsthand, because yesterday I booked two domestic airline tickets on delta.com and the the fee breakdown was:
Fare: 442.79 USD
Tax: 43.91 TX
Total: 486.70 USD
The same exact itinerary today:
Fare: 433.49 USD
Tax: 7.00 TX
Total: 440.49 USD
Luckily Delta allows 24 hour risk-free cancellations, so I re-booked the itinerary at the lower rate (plus the fare dropped – whether that was due to the tax implications, I do not know) and then canceled my more expensive itinerary, saving me $92.42. Not bad!
If you are in the market for airline tickets, today could be a good day to make your bookings and take advantage of these savings. I’m not sure what the savings would be on an international ticket, but saving 10% was a nice little bonus for me since fares have been sky-high this summer!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.