Get 150,000 AA Miles for Free in 5 Minutes With Citi 75,000 Visa and Amex Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here
For a variety of reasons, I never applied for the mega AA 75k/100k Citi bonuses and once the February 28 deadline ended, I didn’t think much about them. However, after I reeled in 100k for the British Airways bonus, I started thinking more about my Oneworld award strategy and realized I now wanted to get in on the action, even though the 75,000 mile bonus technically expired February 28, 2011. TPG reader Shuji left a comment that they had applied and gotten the 75,000 AA bonus yesterday, which prompted me to read on Flyertalk that you could still get it by applying through this link (update: link no longer works). I then realized you can also get the Citi Amex 75,000 bonus with $4,000 (update 6/16/11 $1,500 spend card is no longer available) in spend by using this link (update: link no longer works) so I applied for both and was approved for the same large credit line on both cards. There is no mention of the bonus on that page, but multiple sources have reported getting it so I was confident enough. I applied, was approved online and then I called to confirm 1-888-201-4523 and used my SSN, phone number and DOB to confirm my information and upon speaking to a rep she confirmed I was qualified for the 75,000 bonus when I hit $1,500 in 6 months. Bingo.
If you want to be absolutely positive that you are getting the 75,000 offer, you can call 1-800-408-4954 and apply for it over the phone. The spend requirement was $4,000 in the first six months. $85 annual fee waived for the first year.
A great deal, considering AA miles can be redeemed for Oneworld flights, including one-way awards as well. These miles will partner nicely with my BA 100k haul!
Tip of the hat to TPG reader Shuji for reminding me this was still active!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees