New, Simpler Process to Purchase Hyatt Gold Passport Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Hyatt used to allow point purchases, but it was always complicated – you could only buy up to 10% of the points needed for an award- so in essence you could never buy points if you had a decent balance (though I guess you could have made dummy bookings, but that was a hassle I wasn’t willing to take).
Today they announced a much easier process, powered by points.com. Per the Hyatt rep on Flyertalk, the new price is 2.4 cents per point, up to 40,000 points a year and points can be purchased at any time – no reservation necessary.
I can really see this working in your favor if you want to stay at an expensive hotel, like the Park Hyatt Maldives or Park Hyatt Vendome Paris. At the 2.4 cents/point rate a 22,000 points category 6 hotel night can be purchased for $528 – a steal if you consider nights at many Park Hyatts can eclipse $1,000. This may even work in your favor for a 5,000 points category 1 hotel, which can be purchased for $120. Just note that you don’t earn elite status nights or points when you redeem points for stays. However, if you are trying to plan an expensive honeymoon, you can amass a bunch of free nights if you apply for the Hyatt Visa (2 free nights for $75), Chase Sapphire Preferred (fee waived for the first year and 25,000 Ultimate Rewards points which can be transferred to Hyatt) and the Daily Getaways promotion I wrote about earlier today where you can buy points for less than 1 cent a piece if you have an Amex card.
Overall, I like this change because it simplifies the process and gives an easy way to top up an account to get the award you need.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.