25% Discount on American Express to Airtran Transfers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I don’t think I’ve ever created an Airtran frequent flyer account, or even helped a client use their points. Airtran operates a very simple program for which I did a program score card last year.
I think the most unique thing about the program is the companion pass, which allows free companion flights for a year. The program is adjustable and you can even change the companion once a quarter. Not only that, the companion can also upgrade using 4 credits, which is pretty flexible.
With the 25% discount, credits cost 1,125 Amex Membership Rewards points each. So the companion pass costs 100 credits or 112,500 Amex points. Considering you can get unlimited flights for a YEAR, this could be an incredible value for people who frequently fly Airtran.
Overall, Airtran’s program is user-friendly, they allow simple upgrades, and since they are joining with Southwest within the next year or two, at some point these credits will merge with your Southwest account. The details of that deal are TBD, but if you have a lot of Amex points and like to travel on Airtran, this promo may make sense for you.
“Free** Companion Travel: A companion account must be established by redemption of a Companion Pass award using the sponsor’s A+ Rewards credits. The selected companion must have an A+ Rewards account; if they do not have one, an account will be established for them. The sponsor may change their companion once each quarter by contacting the A+ Rewards Desk at 1-888-3-A-PLUS-8 (1-888-327-5878). Sponsor and companion travel may be booked separately; however, all companion travel must be made with the sponsor on the same flights. All companion travel bookings must be made by contacting the A+ Rewards Desk. Companions that wish to receive a one-way Business Class upgrade must redeem four A+ Rewards credits from their sponsor or may pay for an upgrade beginning midnight the day prior to the departure date.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees