25% Discount on American Express to Airtran Transfers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I don’t think I’ve ever created an Airtran frequent flyer account, or even helped a client use their points. Airtran operates a very simple program for which I did a program score card last year.
I think the most unique thing about the program is the companion pass, which allows free companion flights for a year. The program is adjustable and you can even change the companion once a quarter. Not only that, the companion can also upgrade using 4 credits, which is pretty flexible.
With the 25% discount, credits cost 1,125 Amex Membership Rewards points each. So the companion pass costs 100 credits or 112,500 Amex points. Considering you can get unlimited flights for a YEAR, this could be an incredible value for people who frequently fly Airtran.
Overall, Airtran’s program is user-friendly, they allow simple upgrades, and since they are joining with Southwest within the next year or two, at some point these credits will merge with your Southwest account. The details of that deal are TBD, but if you have a lot of Amex points and like to travel on Airtran, this promo may make sense for you.
“Free** Companion Travel: A companion account must be established by redemption of a Companion Pass award using the sponsor’s A+ Rewards credits. The selected companion must have an A+ Rewards account; if they do not have one, an account will be established for them. The sponsor may change their companion once each quarter by contacting the A+ Rewards Desk at 1-888-3-A-PLUS-8 (1-888-327-5878). Sponsor and companion travel may be booked separately; however, all companion travel must be made with the sponsor on the same flights. All companion travel bookings must be made by contacting the A+ Rewards Desk. Companions that wish to receive a one-way Business Class upgrade must redeem four A+ Rewards credits from their sponsor or may pay for an upgrade beginning midnight the day prior to the departure date.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.