Program Score Card: AirTran A+ Rewards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you live in the Southeast corner of the US, you are probably familiar with AirTran. If you live anywhere else, you are probably more familiar with ValuJet and it’s infamous 1996 crash in the Florida Everglades. Before the crash, ValuJet was cited many times for safety violations, so the negative publicity wave after the crash was enough to tarnish the brand forever.
Since then, ValuJet has become AirTran- moving its home from Atlanta to Orlando, but still operating hubs in Atlanta and Orlando. AirTran operates over 1,000 flights to a day to destinations in the US, Caribbean and Mexico and is the world’s largest operator of the Boeing 717 aircraft. All AirTran flights have a coach and business class cabin and are outfitted with on-demand XM radio and WiFi.
Currency= A+ Reward Credits (Sign up link here)
Flights: One credit for each one way flight. 1.5 credits for business class.
Credit Card: A+ Visa. Two options- No annual fee (application link): 2 credit sign up, 1 credit per $2,000 spend (double credit for AirTran purchases) and $49 fee (application link): 10 credit sign-up, 2 $50 AirTran gift certificates each year, 1 credit per $1,000 spend (double credit for AirTran purchases). All cardholders get double the redemption period for awards.
Redeeming: Since AirTran only flies domestically and to the Caribbean/Cancun, they only have domestic awards.
8 credits for one-way coach
16 credits for one-way business
4 credits for business class upgrade (great value since you earn 2 credits per flight)
50 credits for any airline coach domestic ticket
100 credits for any airline coach domestic ticket to anywhere in the world (can be a great value if you go somewhere exotic- plus you earn miles on the ticket)
100 credits for a year-long coach companion pass
Expiration: Points expire after one year (two years for elite and credit card holders)
+Generous earning- free domestic flight for every 8 (similar to Southwest)
+ Good amount of points-earning partners
+ Companion awards and cash and miles (unique)
+ Companion pass- although they charge 100 credits for it (unlike Southwest who gives it for free once you accrue 100 credits in a year), its still a unique option not offered by many other airlines
– Horrible expiration policy. Every credit expires one year from the date earned? Seriously?
– Limited partners- no hotel earning, for example
One level, achieved by flying 10 or more A+ credits within any 90-day period or flying 25 or more A+ creditswithin any 365-day period.
Benefits: free space available upgrades to business class 40 minutes before departure, free upgrades from full-fare coach at time of purchase, 2 year expiration policy for earned credits, 2 free bags, ability to transfer points to other members.
AirTran has a decent program, but it is flawed a couple bad decision. For example, for an elite upgrade, you have to approach the gate agent at 40 minutes or less to departure. SERIOUSLY? They encourage all Elite members to bombard the gate agent for a free upgrade? That stresses me out even thinking about it. It is a generous policy (especially since Elite status is relatively easy to attain), but the implementation is harebrained.
I find the earning and redeeming ratios to be generous as well and based on anecdotal evidence, award inventory seems to be decent- but obviously harder to get to key vacation destinations like Las Vegas and Cancun (no surprise there). However, the expiration policy is shameful. One year until your credit expires? Who has time to worry and track every credit earned? I know I am obsessive about my miles and generally don’t let them sit around for long, but a lot of people need more than one year to earn an award- especially when you have limited partners (like no hotel earning options).
I think a couple customer friendly changes and some investment in IT could really make A+ Rewards an industry leading program.
Elite Program: B
Overall Grade: B
First steps for A+ Rewards to get the overall score moving towards an A:
1) Change expiration policy to something sane- like 2 years and they stay active with any activity
2) Partner with a large airline that will allow international redemptions
3) Implement a higher elite status level with 2+ day automatic confirmed upgrades
4) Get more hotel and travel partners
5) Give more detail on the companion pass and any airline awards- they are unique and not marketed appropriately
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees