You Can Now Stay in a Yurt in Mongolia With Airbnb
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbnb has added its most remote rental listing yet: A stay in a yurt with a nomadic tribe of reindeer herders in Mongolia.
The rental listing in northern Mongolia is made possible by GPS company what3words, which maps every 10ft x 10ft square in the world with an address of three random words. This innovative technique makes it possible to pin down a remote nomadic tribe in the hills of Mongolia.
The listing looks like it has been active since May 2018. It invites guests to “spend 2 nights and 3 days with a Dukha family in the Taiga (winter forest) in northern Mongolia, stay in Teepee and herd (and ride) Reindeers.” The rental rate is listed as £94 (about $120 USD) per night.
The accommodations are definitely rustic. “There will be 2 wooden beds, sleeping bags and open-fire stove,” the listing states. “Hosts will use stove for heating the Teepee and preparing 3 meals a day. Main ingredients for the meals will be meat and noodles. If you have food restrictions, be sure bring your own food.”
And as for a restroom, that is left to “nature!” the listing says. “Please bear in mind there won’t be any toilet or bathroom as Dukha people move around the forest.” But, if you are willing to brave the elements, the payoff for time spent in the remote wilderness seems to be worth it. “Since the Reindeer family will be located deep in the forest of Taiga, you will be surrounded by beautiful nature full of trees and wild animals,” the post says.
There is one guest review posted on the page, and it is a rave.
“The reindeer herding family actually meets your group on horseback and reindeer to ascend the mountain to the teepee camp,” a reviewer who stayed with the family in June, named Cameron, writes. “Once there you are greeted by the whole family and a freshly made reindeer milk tea is a once in a lifetime experience. Worth the journey… …come a stranger, leave as part of the family. Tourists pay tens of thousands to get to close to reindeer, guests stay and live with them for a fraction of the price.”
The listing does warn that the hosts will have limited knowledge of English.
If you do book a stay with the Dukha people, make sure you use one of the best cards for Airbnb.
All images by the host via Airbnb.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees