You’re Going to Need a Reservation if You Want to See the Mona Lisa This Autumn
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you want to catch a glimpse of the Mona Lisa in Paris this fall, you better book your reservations in June.
The Louvre is making reservations mandatory for the museum’s upcoming exhibition commemorating the 500th anniversary of Leonardo da Vinci’s death.
In addition to the Mona Lisa, which hangs year-round at the Louvre, the exhibition will feature 14 to 17 paintings specialists have recently attributed to Da Vinci as well as the latest research findings, editions of key documents, results of the recent analysis carried out by the Louvre’s laboratories and show new treatments of three paintings.
The five large paintings by da Vinci already held at the museum will be there, too. These works include: Portrait of an Unknown Woman (also called La belle ferronnière), The Virgin and the Child with St. Anne, Virgin of the Rocks, St. John the Baptist, Bachhus, and of course, the Mona Lisa.
The exhibit opens to the public on Oct. 24, but tickets will go on sale for specific time slots through the Louvre’s online booking service on June 18. Adult tickets will cost 17 euros ($19.)
Tickets will be sold for 30-minute time slots to ease congestion in the exhibit. These reservations will be obligatory for all guests, including the 40% of visitors who attend the museum for free, according to Lonely Planet.
The Louvre saw its busiest year ever in 2018 with 10.2 million visitors — an influx of guests some attribute to the Beyoncé and Jay-Z music video “Apesh*t”, which took place in the museum. In an interview with the news outlet Agence France-Presse, Louvre President Jean-Luc Martinez said that the new time controls were a necessity. “We must stop judging the success of an exhibition by the number of hours waiting outdoors,” he said. “What’s important to me is to improve the encounter with the works of Leonardo.”
Featured Image via Getty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees