You’ll Soon Be Able to Scuba Dive Alongside an Underwater 747
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It looks like the Queen of the Skies may soon become the Queen of the Seas. The world’s largest eco-friendly underwater theme park is planned to open in the Middle Eastern country of Bahrain. The park, which is set to span over 100,000 square meters, will feature a decommissioned Boeing 747 as its centerpiece. The Jumbo Jet is reportedly the largest aircraft to ever be submerged.
A rendering of the site featured on the Bahraini Tourism Authority’s Instagram showed what appears to be a passenger 747-400, but it is not known at this point where the plane will come from and what model of 747 it will be. According to Emirati newspaper The National, the 747 may come from one of the planes kept at the Fujairah airport in the Emirates, where a number of cargo 747s no longer in use are stored.
Planes stored, or abandoned, in the desert often have their engines and all fluids — which would be an environmental hazard — removed.
In addition to the plane, the park will house a replica of a traditional Bahraini pearl merchant’s house, artificial coral reefs and sculptures made from eco-friendly materials.
Bahrain’s President of the Supreme Council for Environment, HH Shaikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa, announced on Saturday that the underwater theme park “will provide a safe haven for coral reef growth and a habitat for marine life.” Bahrain aims to be a global leader in the field of ecotourism and the preservation of marine wildlife. HH Shaikh Abdullah expressed the importance of holding “the highest international environmental standards in the project.”
The underwater theme park is scheduled to open to the private sector, local dive companies and clubs in the coming weeks. Visitors will be able to take the plunge before the start of the summer.
It looks like it’s time to finally get that scuba diving certification.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.