San Francisco Airport Bans the Sale of Plastic Water Bottles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been putting off buying a refillable water bottle before your next trip, you may want to hurry up. San Francisco International (SFO) has decided to ban the sale of plastic water bottles at the airport, effective August 20, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
The ban is coming because of an ordinance passed by the city of San Francisco in 2014. The policy banned the sale of plastic water bottles on city-owned property.
The change is part of SFO’s zero-waste effort to divert 90% of landfill waste by 2021 through composting, recycling and encouraging travelers to bring reusable products. The airport has installed hydration stations throughout its terminals for travelers to refill water bottles on the go.
Facing growing concerns about sustainability in travel, measures like this one help to curb the environmental impact of air travel.
SFO spokesman Doug Yakel told the Chronicle that SFO is the first airport in the country to take this step. “We’re on the leading edge for the industry,” he said, “and we want to push the boundaries of sustainability initiatives.”
Photo Courtesy of San Francisco International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.