San Francisco Airport Bans the Sale of Plastic Water Bottles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been putting off buying a refillable water bottle before your next trip, you may want to hurry up. San Francisco International (SFO) has decided to ban the sale of plastic water bottles at the airport, effective August 20, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
Related: Harvey Milk Terminal 1 Opens at San Francisco International
The ban is coming because of an ordinance passed by the city of San Francisco in 2014. The policy banned the sale of plastic water bottles on city-owned property.
The change is part of SFO’s zero-waste effort to divert 90% of landfill waste by 2021 through composting, recycling and encouraging travelers to bring reusable products. The airport has installed hydration stations throughout its terminals for travelers to refill water bottles on the go.
Facing growing concerns about sustainability in travel, measures like this one help to curb the environmental impact of air travel.
SFO spokesman Doug Yakel told the Chronicle that SFO is the first airport in the country to take this step. “We’re on the leading edge for the industry,” he said, “and we want to push the boundaries of sustainability initiatives.”
Photo Courtesy of San Francisco International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees