You’ll Be Able to See the Northern Lights Over the US Tonight — Here’s Where to Find Them
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Checking the Northern Lights off your bucket list is an item usually saved for a trip to Iceland or an adventure in Norway or Finland. But tonight into the early morning hours of tomorrow, travelers in the US and Canada might be able catch a glimpse of the phenomenon.
Thanks to a small geomagnetic storm, the Northern Lights are expected to make an appearance in the United States and parts of Canada. According to the Space Weather Prediction Center, the storm — measured as a G1, or minor storm— will be most active between the hours of 9:00pm on July 23, until about 6:00am on July 24. The geomagnetic strength of the storm is measured by the KP Number on a scale of 1 to 9. Knowing this number, you can see what areas will be able to see the Northern Lights.
Monday night, the KP is expected to be between 4 and 5. This means the Aurora will be most visible to those in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, parts of Wisconsin, Michigan and northern Maine, as well as Canada’s southernmost territories. Check out the chart below to see if you’ll be able to spot the lights from where you are.
If you happen to be flying through that area Monday night, you might want to switch to a window seat because there’s a good chance you can catch the Northern Lights from the sky. A number of transatlantic routes pass through the expected path, as well as flights from East Asia to the northeastern US. Your best chance, however, is on an eastbound overnight transatlantic flight— many pilots will point it out if the aurora comes into sight.
Flyers can check flightaware.com to see the anticipated route for their flight and choose seats on the correct side of the plane for optimal viewing, though it’s important to note that flight paths can change at any point before or during your flight.
Featured image by SasinParaksa/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees