You Can Now Have a Meal in the Cockpit of a DC-3 from WWII
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever fantasized about having a meal in the cockpit of a Douglas DC-3, you’re in luck. American Airlines converted a DC-3 aircraft that served during World War II into a gourmet food truck, dubbed the DC-3 Gourmet, and it’s now open to the public at Tomorrow’s Aeronautical Museum (TAM) in Compton, California.
TAM describes itself as “a living classroom in South Los Angeles that brings aviation history to life and is empowering the dreams of more than 5,000 local youth to take flight.” The organization will use the truck as a fundraising tool to support its programs.
“Our goal is to provide opportunities for young people to grow into prosperous careers,” Robin Petgrave, founder and CEO at TAM, said. “That’s exactly what inspired us to build this truck. Not only will it provide a unique culinary experience to visitors, it will also help future generations get the support they need to compete in today’s economy.”
Don’t let the idea of a food truck fool you. The DC-3 Gourmet is equipped with a full kitchen and serves gourmet dishes like Chilean sea bass, lobster tail and ribeye, most being under $20. If you’re lucky, you may be able to enjoy VIP treatment and have your meal in the original cockpit, which remains intact.
The DC-3 is among the most iconic aircraft in aviation history, but it holds a particular meaning for American Airlines as it was designed in-part by the airline’s founder and CEO, C.R. Smith. It was the first aircraft to combine reliability with performance and comfort, allowing transcontinental trips from Los Angeles to New York in 15 to 17 hours (down from 48 hours previously). Nearly all major airlines ordered entire fleets of DC-3s, and when World War II broke out, it was transformed into a military aircraft, the C-47. Of the more than 16,000 DC-3s and C-47s that were built, there are an estimated 200 still flying today.
Images courtesy of American Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees