You Can Buy an Ancient Greek City for $8.3 Million
If you have about $8 million to burn, you could be the proud new owner of a town chock full of archeological history because the ancient Greek city of Bargylia is on the market.
Located in near the Aegean resort city of Bodrum, the city of Bargylia is on sale for $8.3 million, in an effort to protect the ancient archaeological site from decay and antiquities looters. The property has been privately owned since 1927. One of the city’s shareholders told Turkish newspaper Hürriyet that the owner is seeking the government help to step in and preserve the ancient ruins.
The 330-acre city dates back 2,500 years ago and is classified as a Grade 1 archaeological site. Ancient ruins like the city’s theatre, acropolis (an ancient citadel), fortification walls and necropolis (cemetery) are all in need of preservation. Being that the site is Grade 1 archaeological site, no construction is legally permitted. However, under new ownership, the city can be downgraded from Grade 1 status and new construction could theoretically take place.
This isn’t the first attempt to sell the city. In 2015, the city was also on the market, and the price has since been slashed by $2 million. Archeologists hope that the Culture and Tourism Ministry will purchase the land so that the ancient ruins can be properly preserved.
(Photo by Andrew Butko via Wiki Commons)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees