This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have about $8 million to burn, you could be the proud new owner of a town chock full of archeological history because the ancient Greek city of Bargylia is on the market.
Located in near the Aegean resort city of Bodrum, the city of Bargylia is on sale for $8.3 million, in an effort to protect the ancient archaeological site from decay and antiquities looters. The property has been privately owned since 1927. One of the city’s shareholders told Turkish newspaper Hürriyet that the owner is seeking the government help to step in and preserve the ancient ruins.
The 330-acre city dates back 2,500 years ago and is classified as a Grade 1 archaeological site. Ancient ruins like the city’s theatre, acropolis (an ancient citadel), fortification walls and necropolis (cemetery) are all in need of preservation. Being that the site is Grade 1 archaeological site, no construction is legally permitted. However, under new ownership, the city can be downgraded from Grade 1 status and new construction could theoretically take place.
This isn’t the first attempt to sell the city. In 2015, the city was also on the market, and the price has since been slashed by $2 million. Archeologists hope that the Culture and Tourism Ministry will purchase the land so that the ancient ruins can be properly preserved.
(Photo by Andrew Butko via Wiki Commons)
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards