This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have about $8 million to burn, you could be the proud new owner of a town chock full of archeological history because the ancient Greek city of Bargylia is on the market.
Located in near the Aegean resort city of Bodrum, the city of Bargylia is on sale for $8.3 million, in an effort to protect the ancient archaeological site from decay and antiquities looters. The property has been privately owned since 1927. One of the city’s shareholders told Turkish newspaper Hürriyet that the owner is seeking the government help to step in and preserve the ancient ruins.
The 330-acre city dates back 2,500 years ago and is classified as a Grade 1 archaeological site. Ancient ruins like the city’s theatre, acropolis (an ancient citadel), fortification walls and necropolis (cemetery) are all in need of preservation. Being that the site is Grade 1 archaeological site, no construction is legally permitted. However, under new ownership, the city can be downgraded from Grade 1 status and new construction could theoretically take place.
This isn’t the first attempt to sell the city. In 2015, the city was also on the market, and the price has since been slashed by $2 million. Archeologists hope that the Culture and Tourism Ministry will purchase the land so that the ancient ruins can be properly preserved.
(Photo by Andrew Butko via Wiki Commons)
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees