Wyndham award chart change is officially in effect
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wyndham has officially shifted some of its hotels into different redemption categories as of Feb. 11, which means you may notice a price increase or decrease on upcoming bookings.
This change follows a slew of changes such as, the removal of flat redemption rate of 15,000 points per night in favor of new pricing tiers and the ability for members to earn and redeem points at Wyndham all-inclusive properties.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Wyndham is one of the most straightforward hotel loyalty programs — there is no dynamic pricing or peak/off-peak dates. In fact, there are only three tiers:
- Tier 1 – 7,500 points (or 1,500 points + cash)
- Tier 2 – 15,000 points (or 3,000 points + cash)
- Tier 3 – 30,000 points (or 6,000 points + cash)
Here’s what we know about the upcoming changes:
- 91% of Wyndham hotels will not change
- Most hotels (just under 500) will become cheaper
- Just over 300 hotels will become more expensive
- About 220 hotels will moving from 7,500 points to 15,000 points
- About 80 hotels will move to 30,000 points
TPG values Wyndham points at 1.1 cents each, so a 7,500-point change equates to about $83. A 15,000-point jump is more substantial — the equivalent of $165 based on current valuations.
TPG reached out to a Wyndham representative and was told there will be no preview of hotels affected by this update. We will find out on Feb. 11, after the hotels have already changed price. In other words, if you’ve had your eye on a certain Wyndham hotel, book your award nights before Feb. 11. If your hotel becomes more expensive, you’ll still receive the old rate. If your hotel decreases in price, Wyndham will automatically adjust your reservation to the lower rate.
Similar to many hotel chains, Wyndham expects to shuffle a handful of their hotels once per year — last year, the Wyndham Rewards changes came around this time as well.
Related: Best hotel credit cards
Wyndham isn’t known for a large inventory of upscale hotels; many of their properties are budget brands like Days Inn, Microtel Inn & Suites, Super 8 and Travelodge. The program does have some compelling options, however — you can use points to book family-friendly hotels like the Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek or in urban hot spots like the TRYP by Wyndham New York City Times Square South. I booked the Ramada Downtown Dubai because of its unmatched views of the Burj Khalifa.
One downside to Wyndham is that it doesn’t partner with the major transferable points currencies, so points are harder to earn. If you’re a Wyndham loyalist, however, be sure to book your award stays before Feb. 11 to ensure you’ve locked in current prices. Again, if the price of your hotel goes down, you’ll be credited the difference in points.
Featured photo courtesy of Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees