Would You Try This Coach Bus Company for 99 Cents One Way?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In 2013, FlixBus launched in Germany and since then, the coach bus company has been disrupting conventional European travel (i.e. trains from European city to European city). Fast forward to today, and Europe’s largest bus network is launching in the United States with the goal of changing long-distance travel.
The low-cost alternative to Europe’s train system, which some equate to Megabus in the US, is setting its sights on the West Coast with its introduction in the US. Routes include Los Angeles-Las Vegas, Los Angeles-Phoenix, Phoenix-Vegas, San Diego-Vegas and more. The green buses will hit US roads beginning May 31 with frequency up to nine times per day.
🇺🇸🌴Hello, California! This morning we rolled into Hollywood to launch FlixBus USA. Your next adventure is bookable today at https://t.co/338EDuuRh1! #travel4all #futureofmobility #ridegreen 🌴🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/IIwSHjvQU6
— FlixBus_USA (@FlixBus_USA) May 15, 2018
This marks “phase one” of FlixBus’ US launch: 180 FlixBus connections will be operated by six regional bus partners. The company, though, already has plans to extend beyond its current West Coast market with an additional 400 connections.
FlixBus serves 27 countries in Europe. Its business model is unique because it uses a network of buses that are operated by independent, local companies in each destination that they serve, so FlixBus doesn’t have to shell out for parking or maintenance of a bus fleet. The buses are equipped with free Wi-Fi, onboard entertainment, LED lighting, up to 31 inches of pitch. Each passenger can bring up to two pieces of luggage.
TPG‘s Katie Genter tried FlixBus in October 2017 on a trip from Munich to Stuttgart Airport (STR) in Germany. She found the service to be fine for her three-hour jaunt, but she thought the drawbacks — like the Wi-Fi being down, no snacks or drink offerings and a less-than-ideal lavatory — would make a longer trip more frustrating.
Prices for US routes will run as low as 99 cents one-way on routes like Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Typically, however, one-way, short-haul trips (three hours or less) will be capped at $20 and around $45-$50 for one-way, long-haul or overnight trips, according to Travel + Leisure.
FlixBus hopes to have over 1,000 connections by the end of 2018 and has plans to expand beyond it’s current West Coast routes.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees