World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge opens in Portugal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re an adrenaline seeker and plan to visit Portugal at some point, there’s a new bridge with your name on it. But fair warning — you might not want to look down.
The 516 Arouca, which opens on Monday, is the longest pedestrian bridge in the world at nearly 1,700 feet. It’s located in Aveiro, Portugal (roughly an hour from Porto) and is 575 feet from the ground.
A website for the bridge says visitors will have a view of the Paiva Canyon and Aguieiras Waterfalls, which are part of UNESCO’s Arouca World Geopark.
Portugal is trying to rebuild its tourism sector and wants visitors to be able to avoid having to quarantine this summer.
The country’s secretary of state for tourism said last month that Portugal would try “at all costs to avoid quarantines and additional COVID-19 tests” for international arrivals if the European Union’s Digital Green Certificate proposal moves forward.
People who reside in the European Union, including U.S. citizens who are lawful residents of EU member states, can visit Portugal for essential travel. But Portugal is still not open to most Americans, according to the U.S. Embassy in Portugal.
Most of the EU is still closed to Americans but is reportedly planning to reopen to fully vaccinated American tourists this summer.
At this time, travelers going to Portugal for essential reasons must present proof of a negative COVID-19 test conducted within the last 72 hours and at the airport. Travelers also face a health screening and must self-quarantine for 14 days. Masks are mandatory in indoor public spaces and outside when social distancing isn’t possible.
Starting May 3, Portugal will open restaurants, cafés, and pastry shops with no time limit. Groups of six people are allowed inside or 10 people on terraces, and large outdoor and indoor events allowed with reduced occupancy.
Featured photo by CARLOS COSTA/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees