Would you walk across? World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge opens in Czech Republic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ready for a walk on the very high side?
What is billed as the longest pedestrian suspension bridge in the world is now open for thrill-seekers in the Czech Republic. And while going for a leisurely stroll across a footbridge may not exactly sound like heart-pumping adventure, this particular bridge is special.
The Sky Bridge 721, named after its 721-meter (2,365 feet) length, just opened for visitors after nearly two years of construction. The bridge spans the distance between two ridges in the mountains of the Dolni Morava village in the northeast section of the country, near the border with Poland. It stands at an altitude of more than 3,610 feet above sea level. At its peak, the footbridge is 312 feet above the valley below.
Sign up for more travel news, tips and deals by subscribing to TPG’s free daily newsletter
Those brave souls who take the daunting walk are rewarded with what must be breathtaking — not to mention Instagrammable — views of the surrounding Jeseníky mountains. Of course, it may be tough to take in those sweet views if you’re too scared to open your eyes, so if heights are an issue for you, maybe sit this one out.
Construction of the Sky Bridge took about two years at a cost of roughly $8.3 million. Some critics are not happy about the newest addition to the local landscape. They say the bridge is too big and invasive, and others are concerned the bridge will lead to the Dolni Morava, a village said to have less than 500 residents, being overrun with tourists.
Czech tourism industry officials however, say luring visitors is exactly what they hope the footbridge does.
A maximum of 500 people will eventually be allowed on the bridge at any one time, but only half that amount will be allowed the first two weeks as authorities try to accommodate what they expect to be large crowds. Before heading up there, be sure to check wind conditions.
The Sky Bridge will be closed to pedestrians if winds reach 84 mph, although considering category 1 Hurricane-level winds begin at 74 mph, we would probably play it even safer and pass if winds even approached 70.
If you’re interested in going and taking a stroll across the bridge, note that Dolni Morava is in the northeast part of the Czech Republic, about 125 miles east of Prague. Driving from Prague to Dolni Morava will take you about two hours and 30 minutes. You can also take a roughly four-hour train ride from Prague which will cost you between $20-$30 each way.
Featured image by Lukas Kabon/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees