World’s Largest Cruise Ship to Make Its US Debut at Port Canaveral
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The largest cruise ship in the world will be making its first appearance in the US tomorrow morning at Port Canaveral before sailing to its new, permanent home in Miami.
The ship, Royal Caribbean’s Symphony of the Seas, made its maiden voyage on April 7, 2018, and was based in Barcelona, Spain. Symphony spent the first months in existence taking passengers on 7-night trips throughout the Mediterranean Sea, but will now be relocated to Royal Caribbean’s new terminal at the of Port Miami.
Symphony of the Seas has a record-breaking capacity of 6,680 passengers and has a length of 1,188 feet. It’s about 1,000 tons more than Harmony of the Seas, which debuted in 2016 and also sails from Florida through the Caribbean. Both ships are part of Royal Caribbean’s “Oasis Class” series. According to USA Today, all “Oasis Class” vessels are in excess of 225,000 tons, which is 30% larger than the next largest cruise ships. Symphony of the Seas will be the twenty-fifth ship added to the Royal Caribbean roster.
Docking first at Port Canaveral for customs and a required US Coast Guard inspection, the ship will arrive at 4am and depart at 5pm. Port Canaveral won’t be hosting a homecoming ceremony for Symphony (that will all take place in Miami), however, Port Canaveral Chief Executive Officer John Murray has expressed the port’s excitement on behalf of being the first in the US to host the largest ship in the world.
“While Symphony of the Seas is home-ported in Miami, our cruise partner trusts the capabilities of this port,” Murray said. “We are ready to support the arrival of the world’s largest and most sophisticated cruise ship in the industry.”
Cruise packages for Symphony of the Seas from Port Miami start at about $609 for a 4-day excursion. The list of activities and amenities available aboard the ship is endless — including multiple waterslides, multiple restaurants, glow-in-the-dark laser tag, two surf simulators and (as if Royal Caribbean needed to break more records) the tallest slide at sea.
And of course — you can expect a TPG review of this landmark ship coming soon.
Featured image LOIC VENANCE/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees