Woman Convicted of Charging $500K to Boss’ Business Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
A federal jury this week convicted a former manager of a Williamsburg, Virginia eye care center on charges she fraudulently made about $514,000 in personal transactions over a four-year period to three business credit cards owned by her boss.
Sherea Darnell, 34, was found guilty of 41 counts of wire and bank fraud and three counts of filing false income tax returns, the Virginia Gazette reported. She faces up to 30 years in prison when she is sentenced later this year.
Darnell used the credit cards “to pay for her son’s preschool tuition, which she deducted on her 2016 tax return, and took more than $90,000 in cash advances and transferred the money into her personal bank account,” the newspaper reported. “Darnell then used the money to hire a maid service, buy high-end clothes and airline tickets for herself and her family, and made deposits and payments on luxury cars, online court records indicate.”
Darnell’s boss gave her the business credit cards “to be used for business purposes such as supplies and office equipment,” according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. The credit cards were paid automatically each month by the owner’s business bank accounts.
The owner only noticed the charges after Darnell resigned in September 2016 and moved to Michigan and he began reviewing the business’ bank accounts.
How to Minimize the Chances of Employee Theft
This is obviously a nightmare scenario for any business owner who gives employees authorization to use company credit cards. It’s great to be a vigilant boss — trust, but confirm — but card issuers also have established some fairly passive controls you can put to work for you.
You can set employee spending limits on The Business Platinum Card® from American Express or your Ink Business Preferred Credit Card, for example.
Amex allows you to set limits online or over the phone. Be aware, however: Any limit you set up won’t apply for things like restaurant tips and hotel stays extended beyond the original reservation. Owners can also request text or email alerts to see real-time spending on the card, and cardholders may also freeze and unfreeze spending on individual cards.
You may be able to avoid the cash-advance thefts seen in the Darnell case, as well. With The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express, for instance, you can ask to set limits to how much cash can be withdrawn at ATMs and American Express Travel Service locations during a billing period.
Feature image by eclipse_images / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees