For $74,000 You Can Spend the Night with Emperor Penguins
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Getting to Antarctica isn’t easy. Spending even a few hours with penguins (in their natural environment) is just as hard. But Antarctic Logistics &Expeditions — a tour company offering 360-degree trips (air transportation, trip logistics and guided experiences) to the interior of Antarctica — has an adventure that will have penguin lovers emptying their savings account.
The nine-day Emperors & Explorers expedition will bring travelers to two locations during the course of the trip: the Gould Bay Emperor Penguin Colony on the Weddell Sea and the Geographic South Pole, otherwise known as the most remote destination on Earth.
While visiting the Gould Bay colony, visitors will camp on the same sea ice that the Emperor penguins raise their young, meaning trip-goers will quite literally be surrounded by curious penguins trumpeting around the tents.
The second part of the Emperors & Explorers re-tracks the historic path of explorers (that tour name makes more sense now!) Amundsen and Scott, who trekked across Antarctica more than a century ago to find themselves at 90 degrees south, a.k.a. the South Pole. (The plot twist: As opposed to Amundsen and Scott’s harrowing journey, it’ll only take you a few hours to get there.)
During the trip, travelers will stay at three different base camps: Gould Bay Camp, Union Glacier Camp and South Pole Camp. Each one offers slightly different scenery, whether it’s from the base of the Ellsworth Mountains or the frozen tundra of the South Pole. One thing is for sure: It’s going to be cold. Temperatures during the Antarctic summer (November through January) range between negative 31 degrees Fahrenheit and 30 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on where you are.
It’s not entirely surprising that this entire experience will set arctic enthusiasts back $74,000. Antarctica is an expensive continent to navigate safely and going on the trip will put you in a small unofficial club of explorers who have experienced a penguin colony in this way. The price tag will cover: roundtrip airfare from Punta Arenas, the Gould Bay colony, and the South Pole; meals and tented accommodations; guides; checked luggage; and a “celebration dinner.” What travelers will need to cover: travel insurance, flights to and from Punta Arenas, meals and accommodations in Punta Arenas, personal equipment and satellite phone expenses.
For more information on the trip and how to book a spot on an upcoming expedition, head to the Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions website.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees