What Travelers Need to Know About the WhatsApp Breach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, WhatsApp — a messaging app owned by Facebook and used by many travelers to communicate internationally — announced a cybersecurity breach that left many of its smartphone users vulnerable to malicious spyware.
CNN reported that the encrypted messaging app has since fixed the vulnerability, preventing any hackers from further exploiting the system. Hackers allegedly breach users’ smartphones by implanting spyware through placing a phone call to them on WhatsApp. The malicious code could be transmitted despite if the app user accepted the call or not.
No official perpetrator has been named yet, but investigators found that one of the targeted victims of the hacking scheme was a British human rights lawyer. The Financial Times reported that the spyware was developed by an Israeli cyber surveillance company called NSO Group — but they have since refuted the claims.
The situation is currently under investigation, but Whatsapp is urging its users to update the app as soon as possible out of an “abundance of caution.” The app can be updated on the iPhone by visiting the App Store and selecting updates — WhatsApp should be listed there. Android users are advised to open the Play Store and tap on the three lines in the top left corner, select “My apps & games” from the menu and then update WhatsApp from there.
Featured image by Chesnot/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees