Your ‘Easy’ Drink Order Is Slowing Down the Entire Plane’s Beverage Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Most frequent flyers — including the TPG team — get pretty excited about inflight beverages, whether it’s Brian’s go-to Dom Pérignon or the classic ginger ale. But there’s one beverage that you might want to reconsider ordering next time the cart parks in your row: Diet Coke.
Apparently, Diet Coke can slow down the process of distributing drinks throughout the entire plane. And it all comes down to carbonation. The cabin pressure of planes increases the carbonation of sodas, forcing flight attendants to wait for the soda to defizz until the cup is filled. A study from Illinois State University has shown that Diet Coke is more carbonated than regular Coke (it has to do with the absence of sugar), which means the soft drink tends to be the biggest culprit.
While it seems like it shouldn’t be so much of a nuisance, that extra carbonation can ultimately cut into flight attendants’ time. So much so that, according to the blog These Gold Wings, pouring one Diet Coke takes the same amount of time as three other beverages.
Thankfully, though, there’s a way for flight attendants to combat the annoyance. Instead of pouring the can into the cup in the typical way, flight attendant Jeff from These Gold Wings found a more efficient way to serve the beverage. In the demonstration video Jeff filmed below, he shows the difference in the speediness of his tactic and waiting out the carbonation from a regular pour.
As shown in the demonstration, Jeff places the cup over top of the can and then turns it a solid 180 degrees, pouring the beverage out of the can without an unnecessary amount of bubbles.
His explanation for why it works so well?
“Diet Coke doesn’t come out of the can when flipped upside down until you lift it up and tilt it slightly … because the air pressure is keeping the Coke in the can,” he said.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees