A mother-daughter staycation in Scottsdale using Marriott points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Note: At press time, The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa still had rooms available for 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for this Labor Day weekend.
My mom and I love spending quality time together and during this past year, due to the pandemic, we were unable to do so. After more than a year and a half, I finally visited my mom at her home in Scottsdale, Arizona, and we went to The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa for a short staycation.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
We booked our one-night stay at the Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, a Category 6 property, for 50,000 Marriott points on a standard date. We could have also used a Marriott 50k free night certificate, such as the one awarded on the card anniversary of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card.
We requested a standard room with double beds and were able to check in early to allow for as much time as possible on the property.
The Westin Resort & Spa is in Scottsdale next to the Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter, two of the best outdoor shopping centers in the area. Just a short walk from the hotel, you’ll find beautiful, palm tree-lined blocks of upscale designer shops, restaurants and bars. My mom and I have been going to the Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter for years to shop and eat but had never stayed at The Westin right next door.
Like many hotels, it was clear that The Westin Kierland was a bit understaffed at check-in. There was only one employee at the front desk and about four to five parties waiting in line for several minutes. Once it was our turn, the check-in process was very quick and we were on our way to the room.
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa is pet friendly with no pet fees, so I was excited to bring my 3-year-old Cavachon, Kip, along with us. At check-in, they asked me to fill out a short form agreeing to their pet policy and from there, they let us know that all guests with pets must stay on the ground floor.
Staying on the ground floor ended up being a huge win because our patio opened up to the beautiful hotel grounds facing the golf course and the McDowell Mountains. We ended up exiting our room through our patio to head to one of the hotel’s restaurants. It was super convenient for both walking my dog and for exploring the resort.
Beyond the location, our room was well appointed with two double beds, a large bathroom with a shower and tub, and a great desk set up where I worked in the morning. I particularly liked the furniture; it reminded me of the West Elm neutral furniture I have at home.
The resort is definitely known for its pools, the golf course and the spa. After seeing the entire resort, my biggest takeaway was that this is a fantastic resort for families. There is an adults-only pool, the main pool, a lazy river, a big slide and a FlowRider surf machine. The main pool and lazy river were packed with families celebrating the long weekend.
Since it was just my mom and me, we spent our time at the adults-only pool where we had great service for drinks and appetizers. Before heading back to our hotel room at the end of the day, we did squeeze in one trip through the lazy river for old time’s sake.
After our afternoon at the pool, we headed to the Dreamweavers Canyon Courtyard for an outdoor dinner. The menu was pretty limited, but we went to this restaurant for the beautiful view of the property, the golf course and the mountains. I had a bacon cheeseburger, sweet potato fries and an Arnold Palmer drink.
The next morning before check out, we had breakfast at Nellie Cashman’s Monday Club Cafe. My mom and I shared a yogurt parfait, oatmeal, hash browns and a side of bacon. It was the perfect meal to fill up on before heading back home.
Both of our meals were outside, so we were able to bring my pup, Kip, along with us, which was a huge bonus!
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at The Westin Kierland and thought the property was absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend it to families who want to have some fun in the sun and enjoy golfing. My mom and I didn’t have time to enjoy the spa this trip, but we plan to go back during the holiday season!
Featured image of The Westin Kierland pool cabanas by Mary Kate Heaney/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees