Watch a Tesla Model X Tow a Qantas 787 Dreamliner
Qantas’ newest star, its 787 Dreamliner, came face to face with one of the leading electric passenger vehicles, the Tesla Model X P100D. When the two vehicles met last week, it marked the first time an electric vehicle towed a passenger airliner. And there’s a video to prove the seamless tow.
On a runway at Melbourne Airport (MEL), the Tesla was attached to the Dreamliner in an attempt to snag the Guinness World Record spot for the heaviest tow by an electric production passenger vehicle — the Tesla Model X P100D has the greatest pulling power of any passenger vehicle.
The Dreamliner weights about 130 metric tonnes and can carry 236 people (this particular Dreamliner only had a small amount of fuel onboard and was not carrying any cargo or passengers). The Tesla’s rated road tow capacity measures in at 2.5 metric tonnes. When the Tesla towed the Dreamliner, it was carrying more than 50 times its towing capacity and produced so much torque that it was able to tow the Dreamliner nearly 300 meters.
Qantas partnered with Tesla to bring attention to their plan to reduce greenhouse emissions. In certain Australian cities, the airline already uses electric aircraft tugs to move airplanes. Qantas has more than 10,000 pieces of equipment in its inventory that run on diesel — “even just a small shift to electric power will have an enormous impact in the move to a sustainable future,” the airline said in a press release.
In their partnership, Tesla and Qantas are offering Tesla owners who are also Qantas Frequent Flyer members can have their “mileage offset both in their vehicles and in the air for the month of June with the Qantas’ Future Planet Program.” Additionally, Qantas Valet facilities throughout Australia are supplying charging stations for Tesla vehicles.
Take a look at the video below to see the Tesla Model X P100D successfully tow the Qantas 787 Dreamliner.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.