Watch a Tesla Model X Tow a Qantas 787 Dreamliner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas’ newest star, its 787 Dreamliner, came face to face with one of the leading electric passenger vehicles, the Tesla Model X P100D. When the two vehicles met last week, it marked the first time an electric vehicle towed a passenger airliner. And there’s a video to prove the seamless tow.
On a runway at Melbourne Airport (MEL), the Tesla was attached to the Dreamliner in an attempt to snag the Guinness World Record spot for the heaviest tow by an electric production passenger vehicle — the Tesla Model X P100D has the greatest pulling power of any passenger vehicle.
The Dreamliner weights about 130 metric tonnes and can carry 236 people (this particular Dreamliner only had a small amount of fuel onboard and was not carrying any cargo or passengers). The Tesla’s rated road tow capacity measures in at 2.5 metric tonnes. When the Tesla towed the Dreamliner, it was carrying more than 50 times its towing capacity and produced so much torque that it was able to tow the Dreamliner nearly 300 meters.
Qantas partnered with Tesla to bring attention to their plan to reduce greenhouse emissions. In certain Australian cities, the airline already uses electric aircraft tugs to move airplanes. Qantas has more than 10,000 pieces of equipment in its inventory that run on diesel — “even just a small shift to electric power will have an enormous impact in the move to a sustainable future,” the airline said in a press release.
In their partnership, Tesla and Qantas are offering Tesla owners who are also Qantas Frequent Flyer members can have their “mileage offset both in their vehicles and in the air for the month of June with the Qantas’ Future Planet Program.” Additionally, Qantas Valet facilities throughout Australia are supplying charging stations for Tesla vehicles.
Take a look at the video below to see the Tesla Model X P100D successfully tow the Qantas 787 Dreamliner.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees