Veteran Encounters Pilot Who Rescued Him From War on United Flight
Todd Love, a former Marine who was severely injured in Afghanistan in 2010, got an unexpected surprise on Friday when boarding a United Airlines flight to Portland.
While Love settled into his seat on the aircraft, the pilot — United Airlines Captain Marc Vincequere, who had followed Love onto the plane — asked if he’d been in Afghanistan in 2010. Love said he had.
Vincequere said he recognized Love from a mission he flew as a Lt. Col. in the Air Force while deployed to the area during the war. Vincequere had been the pilot on the mission to fly a severely-injured Love out of Afghanistan.
Love said in a post that has since gone viral on Facebook that Vincequere remembered Love. “He recognized me, my injuries and my face.” Vincequere had always wondered whether or not Love had survived.
According to a recent interview in the Worcester Telegram, Vincequere retired from the Air Force after 21 years of service, and has flown commercially for United for more than 13 years.
Love’s Facebook post has more than 9,000 likes and 30,000 shares as of Sunday evening, with many commenters thanking both men for their service.
At TPG, we’re all about serendipitous encounters on otherwise routine commercial flights. Sound off in the comments below with your most meaningful airport experience.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Darren Murph / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.