Visiting Turkey? Make Sure to Print out Your E-Visa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here is a little piece of (ironic) advice to keep in mind while you plan your summer travels: if you’re visiting Turkey, print your e-visa.
The Turkey e-visa system is supposed to allow visitors into the country via “soft” copies, or visas purchased and presented on smartphones or computers. However, recently, that hasn’t quite been the case.
The Telegraph has reported a series of stories in which passengers were turned away at their departure gates in the UK, as they did not have a hard copy of their visa on them. One of these incidents involved more than 30 passengers at a UK airport blocked from boarding an easyJet flight to Bodrum after being told that that they needed to print out their documents.
“Technical problems” might just be the root cause of all the visa confusion. The official website for Turkish e-visa applications advises visitors “to keep your e-visa with you either as a soft copy (tablet PC, smartphone, etc) or as a hard copy in case of any failure on their system.”
US travelers, who are not eligible for visas upon arrival in Turkey and need to secure e-visas before departure to enter the country, should also heed this advice.
The validity period of a Turkish e-visa begins from the date specified in your application to the next 180 days. Within that period, you can enter at any date for up to 90 days. If you plan on getting an e-visa online, the application costs $20 and should be purchased from the official site at least a week to 48 hours prior to traveling. And don’t forget to print.
Visas on arrival, currently available to travelers from select countries, could soon be phased out all together. In fact, in 2018, Turkey announced a plan to remove e-visa kiosks from all airports in the country in the near future.
Featured image via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees