You can visit every National Park for free on Monday
If you’ve been itching to spend a day at one of the nation’s more than 400 national parks, you’re in luck: All National Park Service (NPS) sites will offer free admission on Veteran’s Day, Monday, Nov. 11. Yes, even the ones that usually charge an entrance fee (we see you, Acadia).
In fact, this only happens five days a year. If you missed the free national park days for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, National Parks Week, the National Park Service’s birthday and National Public Lands Day, this is your final chance to visit national parks that normally charge admission for free in 2019.
The only thing to keep in mind, though, is that the waiver doesn’t cover amenity or user fees for activities such as camping, boat launches, transportation or special tours.
If you’re a National Parks aficionado, and this one free day isn’t enough, you should consider purchasing the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass. For $80, you’ll get unlimited entrance to more than 2,000 federal recreation areas, even if they normally charge an entrance fee. If you’re a senior citizen, member of the military, family of fourth-grade students or disabled, you may also be able to get free or discounted passes.
Need a little inspiration to help you decide which parks to visit? Our top picks are Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, where you’ll save $70 collectively; Zion and the Grand Canyon, where you can also save $70 by visiting both parks; and the Rocky Mountains and Great Sand Dunes, where you can save $60 on Monday. If you’re still undecided, we put together this handy guide that will help you get the most out of this special day.
Of course, this isn’t the only way tourists and locals can take advantage of free activities around the country. If you have a Bank of America, Merrill Lynch or U.S. Trust credit or debit card, you can take advantage of free admission to museums across the country on select weekends.
Feature photo by Chris Leipelt via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.