Visa’s biggest swipe fee changes in a decade may impact small business owners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s largest credit card network announced sweeping rate changes for merchants who accept Visa payments.
The new swipe fees, also known as interchange rates, will depend on business category, as well as the customer’s method of payment. The updated rates go into effect in either April or October of this year, during Visa’s semiannual fee update period.
Rate specifics for each industry are unknown as of yet, and Visa declined TPG’s request for further comment.
But, according to Bloomberg, fees will go up for merchants who process card-not-present transactions, such as online retailers or payment over the phone. And fees will decline for retailers in certain service-oriented industries such as real estate and education, where Visa wants to compete against traditional payment methods like cash and checks.
While interchange rates already vary from industry to industry, Visa typically charges about 2% for in-person transactions, during which a customer hands a physical card to a merchant for payment, while card-not-present transaction fees usually average between 2.3% and 2.5%. Premium cards that come with customer perks trigger a higher swipe fee.
Did you know? Amex now accepted in as many places as Visa, Mastercard
Bloomberg shared two examples of impending rate changes: Merchants will now pay $1.99 on a $100 card-not-present transaction that’s charged to a traditional Visa card, up from the current fee of $1.90 — a 0.09% increase. That same transaction, charged to a premium credit card, will cost $2.60, up from $2.50, or a 0.1% increase. A merchant within the category that includes large supermarkets will see a rate drop of 33% for a $50 transaction charged to a premium Visa card, and the total fee will drop from the current $1.15 to just $0.77.
While rate updates are standard, these impending changes are more significant than usual and will affect both business owners and consumers. Although Visa’s interchange rate updates are just a fraction of a percentage point, those few cents per transaction add up very quickly for merchants who experience a fee hike.
Interchange fees can be a double-edged sword, costing businesses worldwide billions of dollars each year. These fees are the reason why customers often end up paying higher prices for goods and services, regardless of whether they pay with cash or credit. At the same time, the 2 to 4% profit on swipe fees also pay for consumer perks and rewards on credit cards.
All that to say: This week’s news may mean higher prices for all, especially for online retailers. But the change could also pave the way for higher earning rates and additional credit card perks credit card holders have been requesting.
Additional reporting by TPG credit cards reporter Madison Blancaflor.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees