Virunga National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo Will Reopen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virunga National Park in Democratic Republic of Congo will reopen to tourists on June 4, following a series of violent attacks in the park.
Virunga National Park is one of the oldest national parks in Africa and is often considered one of the most stunning national parks on the continent. Known for its population of rare mountain gorillas, Virunga National boasts some Africa’s most diverse wildlife. However, in recent years, the park’s long history and natural wonder has been overshadowed by ambush attacks on tourists and workers.
On May 11, two British tourists were kidnapped along with their driver in the Nyiragongo territory, north of Goma. Four armed men jumped into the road and ambushed the vehicle and 25-year-old park ranger Rachel Masika Baraka was killed trying to defend the visitors. Baraka’s was the eighth death to take place in the park this year.
Though the park will reopen in June, the US State Department has issued a Level 3 warning in Democratic Republic of Congo, and is urging Americans to “reconsider travel” to the country due to “crime and civil unrest.” If travelers are still considering visiting the park, it is advised to exercise extreme caution.
Featured photo by PobladuraFCG/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees