Virunga National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo Will Reopen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virunga National Park in Democratic Republic of Congo will reopen to tourists on June 4, following a series of violent attacks in the park.
Virunga National Park is one of the oldest national parks in Africa and is often considered one of the most stunning national parks on the continent. Known for its population of rare mountain gorillas, Virunga National boasts some Africa’s most diverse wildlife. However, in recent years, the park’s long history and natural wonder has been overshadowed by ambush attacks on tourists and workers.
On May 11, two British tourists were kidnapped along with their driver in the Nyiragongo territory, north of Goma. Four armed men jumped into the road and ambushed the vehicle and 25-year-old park ranger Rachel Masika Baraka was killed trying to defend the visitors. Baraka’s was the eighth death to take place in the park this year.
Though the park will reopen in June, the US State Department has issued a Level 3 warning in Democratic Republic of Congo, and is urging Americans to “reconsider travel” to the country due to “crime and civil unrest.” If travelers are still considering visiting the park, it is advised to exercise extreme caution.
Featured photo by PobladuraFCG/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.