Virgin Galactic Taking Humans to Space by Christmas, Says Founder Richard Branson
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sir Richard Branson already affirmed to TPG that he plans on heading to space himself in 2019. (Which, if you haven’t heard the two chat all things travel on the our Talking Points podcast, now’s a great time to listen!) What happens prior to Virgin Galactic’s founder heading to the next frontier? Other people heading to the next frontier.
Branson recently asserted that he was “pretty confident” that his space tourism outfit would send its first humans into space before the end of 2018. The first few trips via the recently rebuilt SpaceShipTwo (renamed VSS Unity) will be flown by pilots who have trained specifically for these missions. Those, according to Branson, are “the dangerous ones.” Indeed, the road to now has been a challenging one, as SpaceShipTwo killed co-pilot Michael Alsbury in October 2014.
After a handful of those go well, it’ll be Branson’s turn to head up, after which 750 waitlisted civilians will have their day in (or should we say near) the sun. Per CNN Business, the space plane will reach 2,300 miles per hour “in about eight seconds,” with a goal to take humans 50 miles above Earth — that’s enough to “earn passengers astronaut wings from the US government.”
If this all pans out, Virgin Galactic will beat Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin and Elon Musk’s SpaceX to the punch, but Branson’s quick to point out this isn’t a race to a finish line. “Safety’s all that matters if you’re putting people into space. So none of us will race to be the first.”
It’s worth pointing out that Branson has been teasing the world with launch dates for what feels like eons. With 750 people on a waiting list to shell out nearly a quarter of a million dollars for a brief trip to space, the company has frozen additional sign-ups until flights commence. The founder initially hoped that these commercial flights to space would start more than a decade ago, but as he rightly asserts: “Space is difficult. Rocket science is rocket science.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees