This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Australia is now offering special assistance to nervous flyers, as was announced by The Virgin Group in a press release. The program, which was first teased in October 2018 alongside the introduction of onboard meditation programs via the in-flight entertainment system aims to help passengers with a fear of flying or anxiety related to air travel.
The program entails receiving an email prior to the flight with “in-flight wellness research” and a behind-the-scenes look at certain “technical aspects of Virgin Australia’s operations,” an “encouraging, positive text” on the day of travel, access to meditations on Virgin Australia’s in-flight entertainment system, and an alert to the cabin crew to keep an eye out for you.
Passengers can request the program, which begins a week prior to departure, during the booking process.
On the airline’s website, Virgin Australia notes that 10% of its flyers experience nervousness related to air travel. Stuart Aggs, acting chief operations officer at Virgin Australia, said the mission is to make flying “as joyful and stress-free as possible,” adding. “We understand that for some of our guests, flying can be nerve-wracking and often they feel overwhelmed by the entire travel experience,” added Aggs.
Though Virgin Australia is the only airline to officially offer a service like the Nervous Flyers program, a number of other airlines have introduced guided meditations and programs to promote wellness in-flight. American Airlines and Qantas both offer guided meditations via in-flight entertainment systems. Additionally, travelers can view TPG’s guide to 6 of the best apps to help calm nerves during flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees