Fear Not: Virgin Australia Introduces ‘Nervous Flyers’ Program
Virgin Australia is now offering special assistance to nervous flyers, as was announced by The Virgin Group in a press release. The program, which was first teased in October 2018 alongside the introduction of onboard meditation programs via the in-flight entertainment system aims to help passengers with a fear of flying or anxiety related to air travel.
The program entails receiving an email prior to the flight with “in-flight wellness research” and a behind-the-scenes look at certain “technical aspects of Virgin Australia’s operations,” an “encouraging, positive text” on the day of travel, access to meditations on Virgin Australia’s in-flight entertainment system, and an alert to the cabin crew to keep an eye out for you.
Passengers can request the program, which begins a week prior to departure, during the booking process.
On the airline’s website, Virgin Australia notes that 10% of its flyers experience nervousness related to air travel. Stuart Aggs, acting chief operations officer at Virgin Australia, said the mission is to make flying “as joyful and stress-free as possible,” adding. “We understand that for some of our guests, flying can be nerve-wracking and often they feel overwhelmed by the entire travel experience,” added Aggs.
Though Virgin Australia is the only airline to officially offer a service like the Nervous Flyers program, a number of other airlines have introduced guided meditations and programs to promote wellness in-flight. American Airlines and Qantas both offer guided meditations via in-flight entertainment systems. Additionally, travelers can view TPG’s guide to 6 of the best apps to help calm nerves during flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.