Fear Not: Virgin Australia Introduces ‘Nervous Flyers’ Program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Australia is now offering special assistance to nervous flyers, as was announced by The Virgin Group in a press release. The program, which was first teased in October 2018 alongside the introduction of onboard meditation programs via the in-flight entertainment system aims to help passengers with a fear of flying or anxiety related to air travel.
The program entails receiving an email prior to the flight with “in-flight wellness research” and a behind-the-scenes look at certain “technical aspects of Virgin Australia’s operations,” an “encouraging, positive text” on the day of travel, access to meditations on Virgin Australia’s in-flight entertainment system, and an alert to the cabin crew to keep an eye out for you.
Passengers can request the program, which begins a week prior to departure, during the booking process.
On the airline’s website, Virgin Australia notes that 10% of its flyers experience nervousness related to air travel. Stuart Aggs, acting chief operations officer at Virgin Australia, said the mission is to make flying “as joyful and stress-free as possible,” adding. “We understand that for some of our guests, flying can be nerve-wracking and often they feel overwhelmed by the entire travel experience,” added Aggs.
Though Virgin Australia is the only airline to officially offer a service like the Nervous Flyers program, a number of other airlines have introduced guided meditations and programs to promote wellness in-flight. American Airlines and Qantas both offer guided meditations via in-flight entertainment systems. Additionally, travelers can view TPG’s guide to 6 of the best apps to help calm nerves during flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees