Virgin Atlantic launches its first-ever route to Norway — but don’t expect to fly it any time soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic is launching service to a new destination that’s north of the Arctic Circle — but don’t expect to be able to fly it any time soon.
This week, the full-service, long-haul airline launched its first-ever cargo-only flight to Norway. On Jan. 27, Virgin first tested the flight between its base at London Heathrow (LHR) and Harstad/Narvik Airport (EVE) in Norway.
The route will become a regular flight for Virgin Atlantic Cargo as of Feb. 3, with twice-weekly flights. Virgin will utilize one of its passenger-configured Boeing 787-9 aircraft to operate the route, which the carrier says will primarily serve the Norwegian seafood and fish industry — fresh salmon, cod and crabs.
The new route will allow Virgin Atlantic to serve its ongoing destinations as well, such as transporting fresh seafood from Norway to its route network throughout the United States.
Located north of the Arctic Circle, Harstad/Narvik presented some logistical challenges to the airline, which typically uses its aircraft to operate routes with predominantly high passenger demand. Most notably, the launch to EVE and the town’s limited hours of daylight each day and freezing winter temperatures that reach highs of just minus 2 degrees Celcius (28 degrees Fahrenheit), Virgin Atlantic was forced to prepare in new ways for a route launch.
Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, Virgin Atlantic has had to change the way it operates. With passenger demand at a low and travel restrictions continuing to hinder that comeback, the airline launched its cargo-only operations, which has only continued to grow in recent months.
“Virgin Atlantic Cargo continues to expand at pace, and this exciting new launch is testament to the innovative spirit of our business,” said Virgin Atlantic Managing Director of Cargo Dominic Kennedy. “Norway is our eleventh new cargo destination in twelve months, and we’re now able to offer customers a fast, efficient cargo service via London Heathrow onto the rest of our network.”
When the route launches as a regular service for Virgin Atlantic Cargo on Feb. 3, it will operate on the following schedule on Wednesdays and Saturdays:
- VS501 London Heathrow (LHR) 9 a.m. Departure ⇒ Harstad/Narvik Airport (EVE) 1 p.m. Arrival
- VS502 Harstad/Narvik Airport (EVE) 3 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 5:20 p.m. Arrival
Featured photo courtesy of Virgin Atlantic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.