Virgin Atlantic will soon make economy passengers pay for preferred seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic is further aligning itself with Delta Air Lines, as well as its joint-venture partners Air France and KLM. Effective later this month, the airline will relabel some of its economy seats as Preferred Seats, requiring that passengers pay an added amount to select them.
More specifically, the more Preferred Seats in the economy cabin will include the same as those seen with Delta and other partners. They will be seats near the front of the cabin, exit row seats and duo seats (two seats with no middle seat.).
Preferred seats will cost about $42 for those passengers traveling on full-fare economy tickets. Those traveling in Economy Light, which is Virgin’s basic economy fare, will have to pay about $56 for a Preferred Seat.
The change goes into effect March 15, with the first flights in the new price and seating structure to take off from July 5. The airline will notify passengers with existing economy bookings as of Wednesday, giving them a 12-day window to lock in seat selection for free. After March 15, Preferred Seating will be an option for all bookings and they must be purchased.
Like Delta, Air France and KLM’s preferred seating options, elites will be entitled to Preferred Seats free of charge. More specifically, Gold members, which is the highest level of status in the Flying Club program, will be able to select a Preferred Seat without any additional cost. Additionally, Delta Platinum and Diamond members will be able to select a Preferred Seat for free. Silver and Red Flying Club members will have to pay.
“The introduction of preferred seating provides our Economy Light and Economy Classic customers more choice and control so they can choose a location in the cabin that suits them,” a Virgin Atlantic spokesperson said in a statement. “That could be seats near the front of the aircraft to aid a speedy flight connection, an exit seat to stretch out in, or ‘duo’ seats for couples. Preferred seating also provides a consistent customer experience with our Joint Venture partners, Delta Air Lines, Air France and KLM.”
Customers who have already selected a Preferred Seat on a booking will not be charged retroactively. However, if they wish to move to a different Preferred Seat, they will be charged.
In total, Virgin Atlantic says that about 30% of its aircraft economy cabins will be made up of Preferred Seats. The other, non-Preferereed Seats in the economy cabin will still be available to reserve free of charge for economy passengers. However, Economy Light passengers will still be charged to reserve any seat.
This is the latest change from Virgin Atlantic that aligns the carrier with Delta Air Lines. Delta owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic.
Featured photo by Jean Arnas/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees