Zimbabwe’s iconic Victoria Falls has opened to vaccinated travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After nearly a year and a half, Kazungula and Victoria Falls, the border towns that access Zimbabwe’s popular tourist destination, Victoria Falls, is once again open to vaccinated visitors after 60% of Victoria Falls was successfully vaccinated, Voice of America first reported on July 28.
“Cabinet acceded to a request by the tourism industry to open the Victoria Falls and Kazungula Border Posts to tourists who are fully vaccinated. This is in view of the realization that over 60% of the population in Victoria Falls has been vaccinated,” said Monica Mutsvangwa, minister of information, publicity and broadcasting services in a statement on July 30.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Minister Mutsvangwa had previously told reporters the Zimbabwe government had recently approved the reopening of the Kazungula and Victoria Falls borders for tourists following the success of the city’s vaccination rollout, a move the country hopes will reignite tourism at the attraction that has been closed since March 2020.
“Vaccination in border town hotspots and people’s markets is ongoing, with the highest coverages of the first dose being recorded in Victoria Falls City, Kariba and Chiredzi,” said Mutsvangwa.
Zimbabwe previously opened its borders to international flights on Oct. 1, 2020, as well as to neighboring countries Zambia and Zambia and Botswana.
Nearly 7% of the country’s population is fully vaccinated, according to data from Johns Hopkins.
According to the U.S. Embassy, Zimbabwe has 114,489 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 3,754 deaths as of Aug. 5. Quarantine is required for travelers arriving in Zimbabwe from countries with the alpha and delta variants, as well as passengers who transited such countries. Those travelers will also be subject to four additional COVID-19 tests.
“The opening of the Victoria Falls and Kazungula Border Posts following the success of mass vaccinations is likely to go a long way in encouraging other border towns to increase the number of vaccinated people so that their respective towns would be opened for trade,” the Zimbabwe Ministry of Health and Child Care said in a statement.
“When President Emmerson Mnangagwa received his first jab in Victoria Falls City in March this year, he urged residents to get vaccinated so that the border could be opened after attaining herd immunity and they complied, hence this opening of borders.”
Featured photo of Victoria Falls by Columbus S. Mavhunga/picture alliance via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees