Veterans and Gold Star Families now receive free lifetime access to national parks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On the eve of Veterans Day, those who served in the U.S. armed forces or families that lost someone during military service have a new lifetime perk.
The Department of Veterans Affairs and Secretary of the Interior, David Bernhardt, announced free access to national parks, wildlife refuges and other federal lands managed by the Department of the Interior “starting on Veterans Day this year and every day onward.”
As the coronavirus pandemic remains a threat, this is especially good news for any servicemembers or surviving loved ones hoping to hit the road and get outdoors with socially distant activities. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends visiting parks in order to stay physically active — one of the best ways to keep your mind and body healthy.
TPG has covered the best national parks in the U.S. and writer Katie Genter has visited several this summer, recounting what it’s like to be in the parks during the pandemic.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“With the utmost respect and gratitude, we are granting Veterans and Gold Star Families free access to the iconic and treasured lands they fought to protect starting this Veterans Day and every single day thereafter,” said Secretary of the Interior Bernhardt.
For this program, a Veteran is identified as an individual who has served in the United States Armed Forces, including the National Guard and Reserves, and is able to present one of the following forms of identification:
- Department of Defense Identification Card
- Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)
- Veteran ID Card
- Veterans designation on a state-issued U.S. driver’s license or identification card
Free access is equivalent to a national parks annual pass, called the America the Beautiful Pass, which currently costs $80 per year.
I found the easiest ways to get a Veterans ID card are right on the Veterans Affairs (VA) website, by contacting your local VA office where your state typically can issue you an ID card — or you can head to your nearest VA Health Clinic and register for VA Health services where you’ll receive the aforementioned Veteran Health Identification Card. I’ve used the health identification card nationwide without trouble to prove my veteran status for a myriad of purposes.
Make sure to check out our other veterans and active military travel coverage including the best travel perks and discounts for servicemembers and the best credit cards for active-duty military. This is one of the very few lifetime benefits afforded to veterans without any disability and I encourage all my fellow men and women who served to take advantage.
Featured by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees