US Credit Card Debt Closed Last Year at an All-Time High
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
America, we need to talk.
We got news that US credit card debt closed in 2018 at an all-time high — $870 billion, to be exact. I’m sorry, what?! It’s time for a little tough love.
While we’re always here to tell you which credit card — or cards — to get, we’ve also said this time and time again: Don’t get a credit card if you cannot afford to pay your bills, on time, in full, every single month.
A credit card is not a magical piece of plastic (or metal) that gives you unlimited funds or monopoly money (as much as we wish that were true). It’s a savvy way to rack up points and miles for travel, but you should never get a credit card and buy things that you normally wouldn’t have, just for the sake of “getting the points.”
Even if you’re (gasp) not using a credit card to rack up points and miles, the same thing holds true: Don’t spend money on your credit card that you don’t have. Creditcards.com Managing Editor Brady Porche also wants to remind you, “If you’re a credit card user and you want to avoid getting into debt, it’s critical to create a budget and stick to it. Avoid spending more with your card than you can pay off each month. Better yet, pay your balance down to zero each week if your budget allows it.”
While we’re on the subject, now seems like a good time to reiterate our 10 commandments for travel credit cards.
- Pay your balance in full
- Do not miss a payment
- Don’t cancel a card before you have opened a new one
- Don’t cancel a card and lose your points and miles
- Don’t allow your rewards to expire
- Don’t miss out on a sign-up bonus
- Take advantage of category bonuses
- Don’t ignore cards with annual fees
- Pursue retention bonuses
- Don’t pay foreign transaction fees
The bottom line? Don’t spend what you don’t have, and pay your bills in full every single month. Now let’s lower that number for 2019, shall we?
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees