United’s Twitter Team Saves the Day at Newark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When United shared the news that it had begun utilizing a new tool to help determine when to hold flights to avoid having passengers miss connections, I’m not sure Twitter is what the carrier had in mind. But, sometimes, good old fashioned social media is all it takes to get the job done.
Last week, United flyer Laura Webb was making her way from Tampa (TPA) to Dublin, Ireland, (DUB) for a wedding, with a connection in Newark (EWR). Unfortunately her first flight ended up getting hit with a two-hour delay. Ultimately, the flight arrived just four minutes before her Europe connection’s scheduled departure time of 7:25pm.
As the flight was pushing back in Tampa, Laura sent a direct message to United via Twitter, including all of the key details — her confirmation number, origin, destination and connecting city. United responded as Laura was en-route and, ultimately, the agent called gate 123 in Newark to request that the door be held open for a few extra minutes.
In the end, the flight ended up pushing back a few minutes behind schedule, but due to generous transatlantic tailwinds, arrived in Dublin ahead of schedule — with Laura onboard.
United confirmed the account, saying: “We are focused on every customer, every flight, every day and this is a terrific example of collaboration between our social media team and our employees at Newark to make sure we did everything possible to get these customers to Dublin.”
Laura’s story does not appear to be an isolated one.
While it doesn’t hurt to be, say, the son of one of the world’s most famous professional athletes — as in Marcus Jordan’s case below — this gesture goes to show that the airline’s Twitter team is willing to go out of its way to help, regardless of social or frequent-flyer status.
Passengers miss connections every day, but by being proactive and reaching out to the airline’s social media team — with key details that allowed them to assist — this wedding guest was able to avoid getting stuck in Newark, and United managed to build a bit more loyalty with Laura, and perhaps the thousands of other flyers who have seen her Facebook post so far.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees