United Now Tells You Exactly Why Your Flight Is Delayed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines launched a pilot program in January of this year that tells passengers exactly why their flight is running behind schedule — down to crew members who missed their connections or the exact mechanical issue.
TPG noticed the change when one of our editors was flying out of Houston (IAH), she got an alert in her United app saying that crews were working to fix the Boeing 737-700’s fuel panel. “We found you a new plane as our maintenance team needed additional time to a fuel panel on your original plane,” the maintenance alert read.
A spokesperson for United told TPG that the pilot program for the detailed status alerts has so far only rolled out in the carrier’s main hubs at Houston (IAH) and Chicago O’Hare (ORD), as well as flights that divert to those two airports. In addition, the new program only applies to mainline aircraft.
The alerts detail everything from specific maintenance and mechanical problems with the aircraft to weather delays and issues with late crew arrivals.
“We will do what we can to provide additional clarity,” the United spokesperson said, adding that the airline has recently seen customer satisfaction scores improve because of the detailed alerts.
TPG readers weighed in on the new program by commenting in the TPG Facebook Lounge:
Michael G. noted: Aviation geek or no, it’s nice to know the reason.
Avi R. wrote: I like it. They are finally transparent.
Mialisa G. said: I prefer this to being kept in the dark. I wish all airlines would do it!
Patrick M. said: Good info is provided for mainline United flights… not so for their United Express affiliated companies. Often for these regional carriers even basic on-time or delayed info is not provided at all.
And reader Kim K. suggested a helpful tip: It is good because if you take screen shot I can use for travel delay insurance.
The alerts are sent out through United’s app and also via email, depending on the contact information passengers provide when booking. United hopes to expand the alert program later this summer to United Express and its regional carriers.
Featured image courtesy United.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees